1 The Muppet Mindset: The Great Muppet Survey: Daniel Kimbrell

Sep 23, 2013

The Great Muppet Survey: Daniel Kimbrell

Answers from Daniel Kimbrell

1.   Who are your three favorite characters from The Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, the Muppet movies, etc. and why?

My three favorite characters are Kermit the Frog, because if not for him, The Muppets wouldn't exist today. Walter, if it even counts since he's still new, because he's the one character I can fully relate with. And The Great Gonzo, who is more or less the one character I can sort of give a synopsis on how his insanity rules.

2.   Who are your three favorite characters from Sesame Street and why?

Ernie, since he's sort of a trickster character, and I can sort of get along with it, Big Bird, since he is the child character you grow to love over time, and Oscar, since even though he's a bit of a grump you can always enjoy his presence.

3.   Who are your three favorite characters from Fraggle Rock and why?

Sidebottom, since he is sort of the opposite of Boober Fraggle, even though he's still a part of Boober, Wembley, since, Like Wembley, I want to keep people getting along, but I have to also keep them from getting angry at me, my third favorite is a bit odd, but Sprocket. He is just a dog who wants to surprise his owner, who can be a bit scatterbrained.

4.   What is your favorite television program starring any of Jim Henson's creations (e.g. The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Dinosaurs, etc.) and why?

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. This special gave a wide emotional range for myself. It has sad moments, happy moments, and even moments of shock, but in the end it has a happy ending

5.   What is your favorite Muppet movie and why?

It is a three way tie between The Muppet Movie, The Muppet Christmas Carol, and The Muppets. The Muppet Movie, in itself, is perfect. It contains everything Muppety. "Rainbow Connection," memorable introductions to each character, and more. The Muppets tries to do the same thing, but makes it so that everybody already knows about these characters. And The Muppet Christmas Carol for two reasons: One, because I just loved that they could put this together without Jim and Richard Hunt. If you look in the very end, you'll see the other reason.

6.   What is your favorite Muppet/Sesame/Fraggle song and why?

I think it would be kinda biased to say "Rainbow Connection," since it's so well known, but it is true. This song captures everything you need to know about The Frog, as well as everything you need to know about Jim Henson. It is a tearful but joyful song that captures the spirit of The Muppets.

7.   If you could have dinner with any living Muppet performer who would you choose and why?

Well, I suppose it would have to be Steve Whitmire. He seems to be the one living person who knows the most about Jim Henson, besides I would think Frank Oz. He could also tell stories about his projects as Kermit.

8.   If you could tell Jim Henson one thing, what would it be?

"Thank you for making the world a better place for your having been here."

9.   If the President called you and asked to discuss Muppet projects, what would you tell him was the "Greatest Muppet Moment of All Time"?

A Muppet Family Christmas. It combines every single character I grew up with and gives a whole story

10.   What's the name of that song?

"Share it Maybe."

11.   If a judge ruled that Grover had to be your personal assistant for a month, what jobs would you have him do?

Have him teach me near and far. I couldn't resist.

12.   In your opinion, what is the worst Muppet production ever made?

Muppets from Space. I cannot even BEAR to give a perfectly non-nerd ragey answer. It was the first Muppet movie I saw in theaters (It came out in 1999, meaning I was 5 at the time.) And it seemed decent at the time, then as I turned 12, and became a Muppet fan, I saw it again. I had one reaction, an hour and a half long face-palm.

13.   Who is one celebrity you would love to see cameo in the next Muppet movie?

Stephen Colbert. He is HILARIOUS!

14.   If you could take a picture with any Muppet, who would you choose and how would you pose?

Maybe I would take it with Walter, and pose in the Muppet Smile while pointing at him at the same time.

15.   What is your favorite piece of Muppet merchandise that you own? (Feel free to include a picture!)

My DVD of The Muppet Christmas Carol signed by Dave Goelz and Gonzo.






The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

1 comment:

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner